Monday, January 25, 2010

What does it mean to really live beyond yourself

What does it mean to really live beyond yourself? Is it spiritual? Maybe physical? Maybe a little of both? As we dive into the meanings of living beyond yourself, realize that this is going to require an open mind and heart, to really get to the matter. It may even be painful for some. But also realize that it will be beneficial and healing and rewarding to know what it takes to live beyond yourself.
For the spiritual side of the things, and the most important, takes strength, understanding, knowledge and wisdom. God gave us a helper in order to obtain these things.
John 14:16 NAS Says [Role of the Spirit] "I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may be with you forever;
John 14:26 NAS also says "But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you.
There are countless scriptures speaking of this Helper (The Holy Spirit). Not only has God given us this divine being, but He actually left us so that we could have The Holy Spirit here to help us.
John 16:7 NAS says "But I tell you the truth, it is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you.
Now I don’t know about you, but isn’t that amazing how God knew what needed to be done so that each and every one of us could be helped in an instant, by calling on the power of the Holy Spirit? This is what God means by saying in the literal sense “I am everywhere”!
Not only did God send us this helper, but He also is allowing us to live in His Glory. We actually reap the benefits of the Holy Spirit. We gain the fruit of the Spirit. You know the Scriptures:
Gal 5:22-23 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.
Wow! You mean we get to obtain love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control? This my friend is living beyond yourself, when you call on the Holy Spirit to guide you in all your ways.
Now as for the physical part, the healing, the forgiveness, the strength also needs to come from God. You might ask: What does she mean forgiveness as being physical? Well what I mean is, forgiveness is an actual “heart matter”…hence physical.
I remember going through divorce of my first marriage. I remembered the actual physical pain I endured during the process. It was like nothing I felt before. But the healing began once I learned to forgive. Not only with forgiving myself, but my ex husband as well.
But before that happened, the unforgiveness took its physical toll on my body. I lost weight, my bones ached and my heart ached. I don’t know the exact science as to why this happens, but I know the spiritual toll it takes when I harbor unforgiveness in my heart.
This all routes back to the spiritual part of living beyond yourself. We must remind ourselves, or even ask the prompting of the Holy Spirit, that we need to simply fall on our knees and lift up “all” our prayers and cares to Him.
1 Peter 5:6-7 NLT Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time, casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.
Once we do this, we can only become stronger.
Philippians 4:13 says: I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Let’s Pray:
Dear Father in Heaven, I thank You for allowing us to be a part of Your Kingdom. Thank you for strengthening us to live beyond ourselves through Your Holy Spirit. Help us to remember that we just simply need to call upon You and we receive the power of the Holy Spirit and are able to do all things through Christ who strengthens us. You God are an awesome God, let us not forget that! In Jesus’ Holy Name we pray, Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment